Let’s take a look at some myths surrounding turning your anxieties into confident actions.
- You need a lot of time to get into mental preparations. FALSE!! The most advanced mind techniques available are surprisingly quick and effective. What’s more, techniques such as NLP (neurolinguistic programming) are simple and easy for every one to learn.
- You are either born a confident rider or not. You can’t make a nervous rider confident. FALSE!! All it takes is a little practice of the techniques, if you can spare 10-15 minutes a few times a week, you’ll be on your way! The more often you practise, the quicker the results. It’s all about wanting to change and then taking the required action for change to happen. If you continue to have the intention of changing, but don’t practice the techniques, your mind-set is unlikely to shift.
- If the anxiety has been going on for several years or is the result of a particularly traumatic and ingrained memory, the fear will be stubborn and not go away. FALSE!! We can use Time Line Therapy™ (TLT™) for traumatic experiences, this technique removes the charged emotions linked to the memories. You’ve heard the phrase, “It all came flooding back,” well, using TLT™ we remove the emotional attachment to an event. Clients feel neutral about past negative memories.
- Horses don’t pick up on the nerves. FALSE!! Horses have the innate capability to recognise fear; in a herd situation, they would need to be able to anticipate and act quickly if one of the herd sensed danger. Horses often ‘act up’ when the rider is nervous and this can exacerbate how the rider feels. A vicious circle may be set up, which can only be broken by the rider taking control of their emotions and becoming the leader. Sometimes, this necessitates going back to basics – groundwork and simple changes in behaviour when around the horse – in the stable or leading, as well as a new mental approach to riding. NLP, as well as Hypnotherapy can alleviate the fears and change the rider into the leader s/he needs to be.
- NLP, TLT™, hypnotherapy…….it’s expensive though, isn’t it? FALSE!! Because the techniques act quite quickly only 1 or 2 sessions are needed. Then you can do the techniques for yourself, the confidence is self-maintained. Many riders spend a fortune on equipment to aid their confidence; some items of kit will definitely give you a more secure feeling when riding: a well-fitted saddle, the correct bit, good sturdy stirrups etc. Some riders will, however, buy an endless conveyor belt of bridles, bits, reins etc., with little hope of improving their confidence. Additionally, riders may spend a lot of money on calmers, for the horse and themselves! Taken together, the money spent with a well-trained NLP practitioner or master practitioner with an equestrian specialism, is small fry compared to all the supplements and gadgets! Riders think about spending on themselves as secondary, whereas the enjoyment they’d experience if they were less anxious would outweigh the lack of the latest riding fashion.
If you’d like to know more about how to ride with more confidence, join us for a FREE live webinar on 30th March 2017 or 5th April at 7pm UK time. To reserve your seat, click here https://traceycole.easywebinar.live/event-registration